View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #27
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The current system does describe playing a standard piano keyboard (or vice versa) with black key beeing positioned off-line and needing additional # an b suffixes.
-Michael

I'm not sure we are talking about the same things.

I am looking at sheet music (grand staff) right now and it does not have tokens for notes and it does not have chord names. It is a collection of dots and lines only, and in rare cases, finger numbers above the dots. Only in a beginner-piano book would I see the phrase "Play A, B, C, D, D#, E" and then translate this to a finger movement (which is not specified in the notation).

In some sheet music (such as jazz, but not in classical), there will be chord names above the dots, which may be additional information not contained in the dots. In other sheet music (such as classical, but _not_ in jazz), there will be numerals below the dots for bass players to know what to play on the bass line.

In some highly simplified charts (jazz charts) there are no dots at all, or the dots are for a different instrument (the vocalist), and the instrumentalist uses the chord names only, by themselves, to play everything which is to be played.

So you see, there are 2 systems: one with dots and lines (for performance), and one with lots of letters & numbers & non-alphanumerics (for theory).

If a musician wants, they can manually translate the "dots & lines" system into the "letters & numbers" system, or vice versa, to translate theory to performance, or vice versa.

And then there is the 3rd system...tablature...
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote