View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #12
EmilieM
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Ok, yeah, that's pretty slow. :-) (passmark link here).

A new machine would be much faster. I do agree with serr that you could probably achieve nearly the same audio results on your old machine with more efficient plugins/workflow (+ an SSD if it's on an HDD, though that may not affect render times), but it would be down to whether you wanted to bother figuring that alternate route out. And if you are attached to RX (and I am... I love using it for dialog) then maybe a faster CPU is the reasonable choice. You didn't mention the new laptop's CPU, but it might have a passmark of, say, 5000... that probably will not translate to a 5X speedup in rendering, though, given that the "single thread" difference might be more like 2X. But a variety of other system architecture factors could make it better than 2X in practice. And of course the overall responsiveness of the machine will probably be way better.

I definitely defer to serr on these matters, though, so if they have other opinions listen to them instead. :-)

There may be laptops out there that prioritize or otherwise happen to have faster single-threaded performance?
Yes, then I guess that would be the main question to ask regarding speed performance for audio, a faster single threaded performance? 🤔
But cool to hear confirmed that an upgrade in cpu would at least make a bit of a difference.

Agree, Izotope is a life saver for long form narration, goodness me! As for my workflow... yes it may sound a bit much for voice over, but it’s taken me a year to be able to create the sound I wanted, and in the process I have ended up falling obsessively in love with all these plugins I use... what to do!?
EmilieM is offline   Reply With Quote