View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #309
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

esperanto is a solid example of the success a new system can create and the naysayer who replied with the idea didn't even bother to read the link he included in his own objection (because 'well i never heard it so it must be a fail', yeah Not, facepalm):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
This reminds me of Esperanto. It's supposed to be a "new and improved" language but I've never heard of anybody using it. The United Nations uses English. Formula 1 racing uses English, Air Traffic Control and International shipping uses English.

the article states the relatively new system is used by fans in over 100 countries, it is taught as a degree-credit language classes at Stanford, and can be learned in "much less than 1/4 the time of German, etc" (and if I were a languages major, I would certainly learn it based on these results!) :

Various educators have estimated that Esperanto can be learned in anywhere from one quarter to one twentieth the amount of time required for other languages. Claude Piron, an Esperanto-Activist and Chinese–English–Russian–Spanish translator for the United Nations, argued that Esperanto is far more intuitive than many ethnic languages: "Esperanto relies entirely on innate reflexes and differs from all other languages in that you can always trust your natural tendency to generalize patterns. ... The same neuropsychological law —called by Jean Piaget generalizing assimilation—applies to word formation as well as to grammar."
The Institute of Cybernetic Pedagogy at Paderborn University (Germany) has compared the length of study time it takes natively French-speaking high-school students to obtain comparable 'standard' levels in Esperanto, English, German, and Italian. The results were:
2,000 hours studying German
1,500 hours studying English
1,000 hours studying Italian (or any other Romance language)
150 hours studying Esperanto.

maybe those numbers are exaggerated, less than 1/10th the time? Yet a result of 1/4th the time is already good enough to prove success.

so yeah, let's hear more about a revamped music system which could improve the ease & quality of notation and be learned within "1/4 the time compared to the current western system." If it ends up being anywhere near that good, then it would definitely be beneficial.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote