View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
That's a perfect reason to use a wine prefix. Install your screen reader into a new wine prefix, and then create a small shell script to start it. I've added ~/bin for my scripts and "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to "~/.bashrc".

Something like this to start the app:

$ cat ~/bin/rpw
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export WINEDEBUG=-all
export WINEPREFIX=~/reaper-windows
wine ~/reaper-windows/drive_c/Program\ Files/REAPER\ \(x64\)/reaper.exe
Don't forget to make it executable with "chmod 755 ~/bin/rpw".
More excellent information to add to my growing stash of Linux information! Thanks again for taking time to post examples like this.

Quote:
Probably a good decision u-he's plugins though in eternal beta are also very useful.
I grabbed their "ProtoVerb", but haven't found a use for it yet, since it seems to be geared as a guitar pedal verb, and I use real guitar hardware for all my guitar tracks. I am somewhat interested though in their "Uhbik" plugins, but I wish they sold them separately. There are only 2 or 3 in that bundle that I think I might actually use, and if I could buy them for $10-$20 a pop would likely get them, but $149 for the whole suite is too pricey for me when I would only use 2 or 3 of them.

Quote:
Waves seems an exercise in futility at times, in the past I've resorted to complete windows reinstalls just to get it working again. Reading posts I see that nothing much seems to have happened in that respect

Still I have it installed in windows on my laptop, and I really like maxxbass, and vocal rider, many of the other plugins are also easy to use tools that yield the desired effect quickly.
I bought the Waves DBX160 and really really like it, but not enough for it to permanently tether me to Windows. The very reason I was trying to get the free Waves H-Comp to install in Linux. Had I gotten that to work, I was planning to transfer the license for the DBX160 to Linux/Wine, but since it didn't work, I just bought a different vintage compressor that's a native 64 bit Linux plugin that uses a simple unlock code for copy protection.

Quote:
But I can live without it... I just enjoy the hacking and the outrageous idea of running windows plugins in reaper for linux! After all we are talking about running plugins from another OS inside of an application..!
I also enjoy the hacking aspect of making stuff work that shouldn't, but after enough hours I shift gears and go total native. I have my entire Amiga 2000 HD from 1995 bootable and usable in the Amiga emulator for Linux FS-UAE". I had to convert a box of 60 some floppy disks into virtual disk images, then perform a restore from the backup that was on those virtual floppy disks.

Quote:
At the moment running linux plugins is a lot more efficient and less likely to xrun. I tend to enjoy windows plugs for mixing at large latency and don't really even try to run a full mix of them at low latency to overdub through fx..
The only plugins I plan to move from Windows to Linux at this point are the full version of Kontakt and Toontrack's EZ-Keys Essential Pianos, but I will have to retire their licenses in Windows before I can legitimately activate them in Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote