View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
A wine prefix is a directory structure (defaults to ~/.wine), containing registry files and the programs you install. All programs running in a prefix also share the wineserver, so ought to be able to communicate with each other. Essentially a separate windows install.

To use a different wine prefix you have to set an environment variable, easiest done like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/waves winetricks dlls mfc42 vcrun2015

Afterwards when running you have to remember to specify the wine prefix, so something like this to start a program:

WINEPREFIX=~/myapp wine ~/myapp/drive_c/Program\ Files/myapp/myapp.exe

By default (on most systems) it ought to create a 64b prefix, but if in doubt try:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg

You can check the architecture of a wine prefix by looking at the beginning of one of the .reg files.

LinVst will automatically pick up what wineprefix it's been installed/running in, so it's a nice way to separate plugins into different "families", though possibly using several prefixes will increase context switches thus resulting in slightly higher rt cpu and possible xruns.

Still it's a nice way to make sure that installing something new doesn't break what you already have installed and working, and is also very helpful if there are conflicts between the windows runtime dll overrides programs need.

Personally I tend to always override the wine prefix and install applications into their own (shall we call it) bottle Like that I don't have conflicts between different apps/games, and can easily make a backup, delete something, reinstall it, etc.
Sounds like your method of keeping things isolated from each other is a good way to go! I had problems right off the bat making an override for a Windows newsreader that caused other things to not function properly, and it took a good minute to pinpoint that it was that change that messed everything else up.

Thanks for the detailed info! I archived your post to a folder of Linux info that I'm keeping for reference.

I've decided to blow off ever trying to get Waves plugins to run in Linux for several reasons. One was the frustration level of their copy protection, but for two I would have to run their plugins in Wine, and then bridge them with LinVST, which can't be as efficient as a native 64 bit Linux plugin. Thirdly, I moved to Linux to get away from all the nastiness of Windows, and running stuff in Wine just delays that total separation, so I spent $30 and bought OverTone's Vintage Plugin Bundle, which I am really liking.

I have been messing around with the demos for a week now, and Waves got me to send my money elsewhere. This is really a good thing, because I was trying to get this free plugin to work, with the intention of bringing the one and only Waves plugin I've bought over to Linux if the free plugin had worked. That would have also paved the way for me to buy other Waves plugins if I had any confidence that I could make them work in Linux.

Since it failed on so many different approaches, it got me thinking real clearly about my desire to get free of Windows. From now on I plan to use more and more native Linux plugins and hopefully phase ALL Windows plugins out. I have fewer and fewer Windows apps running in Wine as I find native replacements for them, and now I have decided to do the same with VST plugins, but with a vengeance!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote