View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

A wine prefix is a directory structure (defaults to ~/.wine), containing registry files and the programs you install. All programs running in a prefix also share the wineserver, so ought to be able to communicate with each other. Essentially a separate windows install.

To use a different wine prefix you have to set an environment variable, easiest done like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg
WINEPREFIX=~/waves winetricks dlls mfc42 vcrun2015

Afterwards when running you have to remember to specify the wine prefix, so something like this to start a program:

WINEPREFIX=~/myapp wine ~/myapp/drive_c/Program\ Files/myapp/myapp.exe

By default (on most systems) it ought to create a 64b prefix, but if in doubt try:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/waves winecfg

You can check the architecture of a wine prefix by looking at the beginning of one of the .reg files.

LinVst will automatically pick up what wineprefix it's been installed/running in, so it's a nice way to separate plugins into different "families", though possibly using several prefixes will increase context switches thus resulting in slightly higher rt cpu and possible xruns.

Still it's a nice way to make sure that installing something new doesn't break what you already have installed and working, and is also very helpful if there are conflicts between the windows runtime dll overrides programs need.

Personally I tend to always override the wine prefix and install applications into their own (shall we call it) bottle Like that I don't have conflicts between different apps/games, and can easily make a backup, delete something, reinstall it, etc.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote