View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #52
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Is Linux immune to the CPU blabla doors and what have we? might as well pull the plug and turn off the phone, move to the forrest and if you go Linux today, is not your past whole life on big brothers/"WATSON's brain anyway already?
I think Linux for music is just waiting for more people to add to the stats so companies see the ohh-lalaah, or something.
Not as much meh's as it used to be, even SmajjL can manage with the wealth of helpfull Linus peoples.
One of the biggest reasons I switched to Linux was for the CPU microcode updates which patch for things like the Spectre and Meltdown chip level exploits. Windows 7 does NOT do any microcode updating where Windows 10 does, but I don't want to run Windows 10, so I jumped to Linux.

Microcode must be loaded BEFORE the OS even begins to boot and is not written permanently to your CPU, but is rather installed to your computer's RAM, then the CPU is pointed to look for it there, rather than the microcode that is static and on the CPU, so it must be loaded every time, just before the OS begins to boot.

In Linux, to see what vulnerabilities have or have not been mitigated, issue the following command in a terminal window.

grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote