View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
Hypex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Heinen View Post
Hypex - the test tune example is "Always and Forever" by the group Heatwave (circa 1977). It's in 12x8 at about 50 to 51 BPM. I see from juliansader that this issue is a known one, and will be fixed in an upcoming release, so I'll hang on to my test project, retest with the newer release, and update this thread with results.
It's just before my time to when I started listening to music so am not familiar with that one. Certainly wasn't the more upbeat techno song I was thinking of. :-)

So I looked it up myself and also tested. I've seen one score at 12/8 in 50 BPM. And another in 4/4 at 60 BPM.

I first tried with 4/4 and selected a bars worth of four beats. I got the same result as you did with the BPM being around 100.

I then tried 12/8 and selected a bars worth of 12 beats. It got close to the mark around 75 BPM but still off.

To make it easy I ended up cutting out the lead in for a clean start. But I noticed that Reaper liked to divide the bars into six beats on the grid regardless of time signature being set to 12.

I then tried with my own beat mapper. At 4/4 time it was able to map at around 50 BPM. But it only could do so with 12 beats between. Until it went of the mark. :-)

Next I redid it as 12/8 time per measure and it too was able to mark up a map around 50 BPM. Again it did go off the mark. And Reaper counted one bar as two.

I find the tab transient function quite useful when placing cursor to the next beat.

I also downloaded a midi file of the song to extract tempo from but as expected it was out of alignment. Having a midi file mapped to the same exact recording would help. Though they can have tempo marked in strange places.

Last edited by Hypex; 07-26-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote