View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
scarlton
Human being with feelings

Thanks strinxx, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strinxx View Post
In general it's basic functions are doing great!

Every little while though, it seems to lose it's connection.... kind of...
Transport always works, but Faders stop working... wait a few secs and they are back again.
First question: are you using the Houston's USB connection, or midi?

Quote:
And hey scarlton, you did it in 32 and 64bit. Great!

So now to the longer part:
These are really just suggestions, about what I think would be cool or handy. I have no idea what's actually really doable, so please scarlton don't be mad with me ok

I try to divide the functions based on the layout.

On the very left we have some automation buttons, one SHIFT and one for the motors:
motors works as expected
read/ write - maybe it's possible to toggle through automation-modes (latch, touch...) by pressing the mode-button.
Stepping through the automation modes would be nice - I only implemented read and write because those are the labels on those buttons. There should be a way that makes sense to use those two and the mode button to set any automation mode.

Quote:
fader-section and encoders

is it possible to have a different pan-indication, like 1 dot in the middle for 50/50, then the ring "opens" to left/ right depending on the pan?
shift + pan maybe for width?

it "felt" like turning the encoders anticlockwise is very exact and fast, turning clockwise not so much and takes a few more turns to get to 100% right..

pressing "more" next to the scribble strip maybe for db-/ plugin- values and stuff? Could we get some timecode shown - is this doable?
First of all, the encoders are terrible. They're not continuous as you would expect, they output discrete values and stop outputting any value at all when they LED arc is fully lit or fully extinguished. The LEDs can't be set individually (that I'm aware).
You mention that you've used the Houston with Cubase - does Cubase ever change the way the LED arcs work? Like the way that you describe - with one LED lit at a time, and sweeping left or right with the pan value of the track?
Obviously that would be ideal for pan control, but I'm not sure that's possible with the Houston.
The plugin isn't interpreting all of the data sent for the encoders either, so precision can get better.

Quote:
above the encoders some more buttons (yippie!):

Global Send Masters > if possible set master-outputs 1,2,3...?
Send FX > add (new) Quick-FX/ add FX-chain 1,2,3..?
Master FX > add FXon slot 1,2, (with sws extensions)?
Instruments > open VSTi from track-template?

Faderset EQ 1-4 > REA-EQ band 1-4, maybe more values ?
User 1/2 > user defined
Routing > open I/O, add send/recieve/hardware-out 1,2,3..
by entering the corresponding number (id) with the number pad
Pan > show default display/values, like track-names..
FX send 1-8 > adjust send level 1-8, + shift adjust send's pan..?

Selected Chan EQ > + page up/dwn for REAeq, maybe other plugins mappable?
Aux > Sends level
Inserts > + 1,2,3 (number-pad) for inserting FX 1,2,3
(hope I make sense here...)
User 1/2/3 > definable
Routing > maybe open console to set input 1,2,3... (sws)
These buttons are what makes the Houston tricky. As I mentioned before, I think these should all be user-configurable, but with defaults that are (hopefully) intuitive. With that in mind, I don't think by default I want to assign any actions that aren't native to REAPER, in the event that the user doesn't have the SWS extension installed, for example.
Also, this functionality will probably wait until later, as I want to work on making the core functionality more robust.

Quote:
Transport-section and above

love the "arm" button - this never worked in Cubase, really nice to select some channels and arm them with 1 single click. Cool!

FF/Rwd don't work. Not that bad, we have a jog-wheel but would be handy to really go very fast through a project.
Maybe shift + FF/RWD set cycle in and out, or to go to in/out or begin/end of project?
I didn't implement forward/reverse yet, but shift + FF/RWD to jump to start/end should be there.

Quote:
Jog
Is it possible to have the wheel move by grid settings like half, 4th, 8th, 16th n' stuff. That'd be supercool for editing!
Or move In/Out points with the jog, by pressing shift + turn, according to grid.
I'll have to take a closer look at the jog/scrub API, but I implemented jogging the way it was done in the MCU plugin. I'm not even sure there's the capability to snap to the grid on jogging, but it's not a bad idea.

Quote:
Buttons above the transport

Song Save > as expected
Revert > go back to previous version (would this make sense..?)

Edit Undo > as expected
Redo > as exp.
Cancel/No/Yes > no idea.... this neither worked in Cubase

Windows Sets + 1,2,3 (number-pad) > load window-set 1,2,3
shift + 1,2,3 save win-sets 1,2,3
Main > open/close docker shows only arrange area
Edit > open/close editor (midi/inline maybe possible by context)
Studio > show mixer

Marker Jump + 1,2,3 > go to marker 1,2,3
Capture > add marker at current position
Delete + 1,2,3 > delete marker 1,2,3

Functions + 1,2,3 10s + 1,2,3, like 11,12,13 for assignable actions, maybe together with the encoders to move items, change certain values...?

Data to enter number-values, so you don't need to get back to comp-keyboard.

Cursor hmmmmmm... maybe to set grid to 1, 1/2, 4th, 8th, maybe 3 for triplets...

ZAP jump forth and back between 2 values..?
I was working on the number pad right before the version of the plugin that you're using, so I don't think any of it is working yet. I had originally implemented the number pad to just issue the keycodes for the respective number keys on a keyboard, which would jump to that numbered marker by default, and shift+[number] would set a marker.
I'm not sure what to do with the Function/Data/Cursor buttons and from reading the Houston manual, it seems as though the implementation was strange in Cubase as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strinxx View Post
Well... let's see what scarlton says about it.... maybe he hates me now

My ideas are based on my kind of workflow, so this is for sure a bit "selfish"... but I was asked for input, right?

Something like Klinke's "action mode" would be cool, too.
He is really a nice guy, very helpful, maybe he allows us to "copy" his ideas?

@scarlton
I forgot something:
the fader sets, right next to the master fader.
I made some custom actions (there is a thread about it somewhere), to only show midi-/ audio-/ VSTi- whatsoever- tracks in the arrange-area.
So these buttons should be used for this too, I think (assignable).

Please don't hate me even more now...
I don't have an MCU, but I do have an iPad and AC-7. Maybe I'll take a look at what klinke's doing with the MCU for ideas.
Can you find the thread with the custom actions you were talking about? I like the idea of showing/hiding "sets" of faders, maybe that's an idea to pursue.

I'll be out of town for the weekend, so between the band, work, and travel I probably won't be able to put any more work into this until next week. Stay tuned.
scarlton is offline   Reply With Quote