View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #388
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I take exception with the "because it's free, you don't have to communicate". Adults communicate period. I don't care if the immensely talented White Tie says he's never finishing it or it might be years before he finishes it but adults communicate.
You took a lot of flak for that. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect someone to poke their head in every 3 months or so and give people a clue. Especially in this community. Thankfully, I've become enamored with Solaris LCS Blue V2, and Lucas is not only very communicative, he offers really kind, patient help and advice to everyone who has questions about the theme. He'll even give general advice to help people understand how to customize themes, fix issues they are having, explain how to edit the rtconfig.txt file. I think we should support this kind of attitude, since it's in alignment with the Cockos philosophy that make REAPER and this community so great. WT is more like Google or Microsoft. Frankly, the bloom has really fallen off the rose for me as far as this theme is concerned. There's an arrogance behind it that demonstrated by the attitude of "this is for big monitors, and if you're not using one, you can suck it" while the LCS themes are designed to accommodate all sizes and many different workflows. WT seems to take a perverse pleasure in teasing and frustrating people. Imperial is really kind of a mess in a lot of ways anyway. When I was using it, I had to go in and fix the text and shadows on a lot of the buttons because it was just poorly done and illegible. I literally went in and fixed it pixel by pixel so it was legible, nicely antialiased, and shadowed.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Also, there is nothing wrong with Melodyne. It's another tool. Don't blame a craftsman who can use a nail gun and build the same house 10 times faster than someone using a hammer.
You're right. There's nothing wrong with Melodyne. In fact, its an extremely well implemented tool. What is wrong is that, a) it's gotten to the point that the audio engineers are the real talent now, and a large majority of the "artists" lack basic skills with no impetus to hone their craft because of the ever dependence on Melodyne, and b) it's overuse has led to a sterilization of music. It's just common practice for people to use it to add "harmonies" which are really just pitch shifts of the melody, and fewer and fewer vocalists have lost this skill, which is sad. Bohemian Rhapsody has many "flaws" in it that give it its character. I'd hate to hear how that song would sound if it was made today. But that would never happen because talent at that level has disappeared. There are a few musicians around who can go into the studio and lay down a song in a live performance and have it be great. I just watched a video where Fab Dupont was challenged to produce a vocal and piano track "live" using nothing but three compressors, and it was amazing. Bonnie Raitt can go into the studio and perform her vocal and guitar parts live in one take from beginning to end. I used to get a lot of work because I could listen to a song, a rough melody idea, get a lyric sheet, and lay it down in a take after being up for three days partying. And it was powerful, melodic, early metal that took advantage of my 4 and a half octave range. So, yeah, maybe you can build something in 10 minutes, but it's like an Ikea particle board table and chairs compared to the kind of beautifully crafted, hand carved, ornate, and artistic antique dining room sets made from oak. Yeah, there may be a nick or a mistake here or there, but someone put the whole of their talent and ability into making something that will last for generations instead of a disposable piece of crap that falls apart in a couple of years. Like Fab Dupont says "The upright bass isn't the the devil. It only works for the devil, because the devil is Ikea."

WT may be a fairly talented craftsman, but the quality of Imperial really doesn't justify the attitude that comes with it. He's beginning to strike me of the CLA of this community, and it's just not a fit. He can keep his theme. The Cockos culture is sharing, communicating, and being responsive to each other's needs so we can all do what we do better. I've always said that, as amazing as REAPER is, its best feature is the community support. It's just amazing how the SWS team, the guys who write things like ReaPack and all the resources it manages come together to make something that responds to every need and idea that people have. It's very much an "us" thing, and WT's "I've got my team of beta testers, so all you plebs can go hang" approach is a very elitist thing. I feel a little ashamed that I got so caught up in the frenzy over this and drank the WT cult Kool Aid for a minute. Could be he's a great person, but how would we ever know it fi he refuses to communicate with anyone but his inner circle? "Don't make me regret this" and not being open to feedback from the community makes me really wonder. Let's all just move on, donate to Lucas and Albert, and enjoy their contributions and gracious attitudes.