Thread: Ambisonic IR
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #15
plush2
Human being with feelings

Joystick, my friend, this is a mind bender as the pdf manual description states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
Another way to solve this is to control the transition of the original signal's early reflections into the reverb processor's late reflections.

The "O3A Reverb - Shaped Convolution" by Blue Ripple Sound takes this road, you can have a look at the documentation found at: https://www.blueripplesound.com/site...ide_v2.2.0.pdf
I'm still trying to conceptualize how this is actually being accomplished. Having conversed with Richard Furse in the past I have no doubt that it does. I will need to do some serious thinking and experimentation and will post back when I feel like I have an idea how this is being done.

Regarding MConvolutionEZ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
I tried it using a mono signal encoded to HOA and then loaded a HOA IR I made for testing and it gives erroneous output. Actually whatever the position of the source in the ambisonic field and the behavior of the test IR, the plugin outputs the reflections located wrong.

How did you make it work?
You almost gave me a heart attack. I did some acoustics consulting recently that relied fairly heavily on conclusions drawn using impulses convolved through MConvolutionEZ. Thank you for the link to your test setup. I can see what you mean by weird behaviour. I am not really set up at the moment to do HOA. I still use FOA for most of what I do as it winds up on internet streaming platforms and keeping the channel count down still works better there.

I tested using a pink noise generator, run into SoundParticles SpaceController which I set to stereo input and FOA for output. I then ran a 4 channel instance of MConvolutionEZ with an FOA ambix impulse I made myself from a tone sweep through a coresound tetramic using gratisvolver. Everything perceptually seemed to be coming from the correct locations.

I then loaded up a parallel track, fed it the same pink noise through the same panner but with Sparta multiconv. The perceptual results where the same and the two sources nulled perfectly. (to my great relief)

Perhaps the problem exhibits only in higher orders?
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote