View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
danerius
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
Alright, so maybe this is a little crazy, I don't even know, but I whipped together this little plugin to demonstrate what I'm talking about. When you load up the plugin you will see a slider - move it to the left to increasingly linearize the function, move it to the right to... de-linearize? As you play something through it, listen and watch the display. Green is incoming audio, red is processed. What you will notice is that you will only see red as long as the function is linear. The more green you see, the more the function is being saturated and the more noticeable the effect should be. Boost to exaggerate this effect. Linearize it to undo it, etc.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36680/sault-linear-tanh.txt

This is basically what I'm doing to your function - I'm linearizing part of it, literally turning part of the function into a line, both to keep it musically usable and to keep it from hard clipping. I tried to not optimize it too much, I hope the source code is useful.
Duude.... You just whipped together a plugin...?

Thanks for simplifying the code. Ive tried the plugin on a couple of different things. Mostly with sine waves and checking a spectrum analyzer. I understand what youre saying now and I can very much see the nonlinearities. And the anti-aliasing. And the above 1 peculiarties.

Im definitely gonna try some other formulas with this. Is there a JS with a simple anti-aliasing filter I can look at?

One other thing Ive been looking at and youve touched on is treating positive and negative values differently. But for the purpose of making a mono-to-stereoizer. So essentially splitting the mono signal in +/- and processing them differently in the left channel. Then doing the exakt opposite of that for the right channel.

Thanks + best regards /Bo
danerius is offline   Reply With Quote