View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #73
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Or it just might be that the real world applications for Reaper and associated hardware that don't involve the i-Word or the a-Word are few and far between.
IMO OSC is where it belongs right now, in pre-release.

I look forward to its implementation using some form of hardware controller I can both afford and get on with physically, but I suspect we are pretty far off that at present other than with the aforementioned general purpose i and a devices.

Me? I can't afford to spend my hard-earned studio money on yuppie toys.
My phone doesn't even have a camera, but it makes calls and does texts just fine.
Cost me under ten UK pounds, too.
AND it stays charged for at least a week at a time. (grin)
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

You apparently still fail to understand that real world applications for OSC support in REAPER do not need any hardware that you don't already have, like the computer you are running REAPER on. As I have told you before already.

You may hate iOS and Android devices / tablets / smartphones / touch screens, such opinions are as valid as any other, but imho they are not relevant to the discussion of OSC or REAPER at all. You may think of them as yuppie devices, but in this respect there is no difference at all between them and your computer; they are all general purpose devices, not OSC devices. When you are comparing them to your phone, you are completely mistaking form factor for functionality - it is not really a computer (or it is not very capable at all), but it may indeed serve perfectly well as a phone.

I have not yet seen any iPhone, iPad or Android device that comes with native OSC support. They are simply computers (with small form factors) on which you can install a piece of software that supports OSC, or not. You can just use your mouse and keyboard (and any MIDI gear you may have), install some free software, and use it with REAPER to enjoy some useful features that we did not have available before. If you can not afford your computer, sell it. If you can not physically get along with it, perhaps try a different model.

I have already shown examples on this forum of how to get feedback to plain old MIDI controllers, and also of displaying VU meters via MIDI CC# - both examples used only a computer and a regular MIDI controller. People who still maintain OSC is only usable with a smartphone or tablet, or are denying that it is already usable to everybody who can run REAPER, are apparently not seriously interested in using MIDI controllers with REAPER.

At this point, the discussion about practically usability [EDIT: to be perfectly clear: practically usability of OSC support in REAPER] should focus on ease of configuration. Not on iOS / Android / tablet / smartphone hating.

If we would see much more people wanting to use their iPhone, iPad or Android device with OSC for remote control than something else (i.e. other music apps, MIDI gear), then that would just reinforce the point that there are already hundreds of millions of devices out there that can very easily be used with OSC. Probably much more already than the number of MIDI devices out there, but definitely much more than the number of REAPER users. The chance that some new potential REAPER user already owns an iOS/Android device is much bigger than vice versa. So tough luck for REAPER users that happen to hate those devices.

Last edited by Banned; 03-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote