View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #60
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
Actually, I was looking at videos on YouTube that convinced me it's not practical. I saw many one finger controlling and multiple slider controlling that resulted in fingers sliding off the control and multiple attempts.

I am not questioning whether it works, I am questioning the practicality. Do we really need to remotely control a DAW? Is it faster? Is it better? Is it cheaper? Why is it practical?
Yes, but as far as I'm concerned, mainly because all virtual instrument plugins are situated there too. Terms like 'control surface' or 'remote' imply to many people that we are only talking about mixer features, thus hiding the fact that it's also about the UI for instruments and effect chains, not only the mixer. Imho a DAW should not be designed only for non-realtime workflows, it should provide an entire virtual studio; and a studio is a place ideally optimized for performing music - recording is completely secondary to making and playing music. Of course, for performance-oriented workflows it is an absolute must to escape from single finger / single pointer UIs, much more than the non-realtime workflow of remixing a song, or editing a bunch of recordings into a single track. And like most other people, I suspect, I primarily use traditional, tactile controllers such as keyboards, lots of sliders, buttons, and knobs to perform music, much more so than touch screens indeed. But I'm definitely not excluding them, e.g. for visual feedback they are much better than just a bunch of LEDs.

So, I'm excited about the OSC support for control surfaces (or perhaps I should just say "feedback", which happens to be only available for OSC control currently) in REAPER because it allows me much better control over my instruments, and not at all because it allows me to edit mixes from a tablet - I'm not much interested in that at all either.

Quote:
I'm just curious about this fascination because I've been using them for a very long time in remote control systems. I also created software that allows you to create user interfaces that use OSC (and TCP, UDP, midi, etc) for remote control.
Interesting. I should definitely have a look.
Quote:
[...] which is taking my side. You are allowed to do that of course!
I think I am, for the most part at least. For example, I have probably been playing with REAPER's OSC features using a touch screen for no more than 5 minutes, while I've been using plain old MIDI controllers (converting MIDI to OSC and back) all the rest of the time.