View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #66
zoso2
Human being with feelings

the thing i've always hated about using amp simulation software is the amount of time spent dicking around with different heads, cabs and mics and then halfway through mixing it i'd want to change it again. I'm fortunate enough to be able to mic up a real amp and once i've recorded the tracks i know there's no going back, which is how i prefer it. on occasion if i'm short on time or the situation won't allow i'll record solo's with amp sims but i limit myself to 5 minutes when dialing in the tone, once 5 minutes is up whatever I have is what i go with. after a while i've found the sound i prefer which is an orange and a vox (usually called citrus and classic 30 or something like that) panned left and right with a tad of stereo delay on it. i use pod farm and/or guitar rig.

on another note metronomes are you friend. pick up a cheap one at the local music store and practice pretty well everything to it. start out slow and gradually increase the speed. this great jazz player showed me his practice regimen and this is what he did.

set metronome tempo to 40 bpm, play one note every 2 beats. the purpose behind the long pause is to pay attention to what your body is doing physically. remain relaxed at all times and remember to breath! relaxing is very important because when you stiffen up you compromise speed. then what he would do is play on different beats so instead of playing on the 1st beat play on the 3rd beat etc. one other thing he did was learn his scales every possible way, on a piano you can play either right or left on a guitar you can play across the neck (from 6th to 1st string) ascending or descending and up and down the neck (towards the nut or towards the bridge) knowing a scale is good but knowing how to play it every way is very very powerful.

also when practicing set a schedule for what you want to achieve in each practice session. work in the key of G this lesson C# minor the next and Abbb the next. (if you do come across a song in the key of Abbb avert your eyes and back away slowly!) and take breaks every 15 minutes. not many people can focus for hours at a time so take a break every now and then and come back with a clear head and renewed focus.

Chris P Critter: some good theory books to start with would be the royal conservatory or mark sarnecki books or possilby the canadian conservatory books which is what i started with and for a beginner it's very well laid out and easy to understand, it got me into college so it must have taught me well enough! I guess i'd have the equivalent of a grade 4 in theory now so you can direct your theory questions my way and i'll try and help out

as far as scales for metal I usually stick with major and minor pentatonic as well as a bit of a cocktail of phrygian and dorian. my solo's are also pretty bluesy which seems to go well with the heavy riffage

and another thing to think about when writing songs is slow the fuck down! i used to think i had to play everything at 200bpm and the most eye opening experience for me was to have a far more experienced player, albeit a non metal player, tell me to slow the tempo down. i tried it and it was even heavier and a million times easier to play. heaving slow parts is also a great way to create impact. when a fast part comes in right after a slow part it seems way faster by comparison and has a greater impact on the audience.

Last edited by zoso2; 11-18-2010 at 02:33 AM.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote