View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
John Lundsten
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
two videos to demonstrate what many of us feel is missing in the editing capabilities of Reaper.

First, the way you copy and paste bits and pieces in Reaper:
Then, the part we would like to add to Reapers capabilities. It is easiest demonstrated in another application, in this case Protools, which is the most predominant application in use for this type of editing:
I have to agree 100% on this. Copy pasting a section/selection is clumsy - and downright bad & must be fixed. (compared to the elegance of the rest of the program it is downright embarrassing).
Even the otherwise pretty rubbish PT can do this basic stuff fine as can CEP/Audition (better) and most other software too.

I have only just discovered Reaper & must say am pretty smitten. IMO it has a really good combination of comprehensive configurability of an obviously well thought out approach to software manipulation of digits, that doesn't limit the creative possibilities, + it has an easy to use UI. As contrast to the complete opposite Poo-Tools that clearly started from some sample edit code then just kept adding code/bloat to get round the fact the basic paradigm was ill-conceived. This is then coupled with an ultra arrogant approach that they are perfect so one must adapt to their "way". Eg I did a training for trainers course {I'm a practitioner turned Academic} at the Avid/digi HQ in the UK and on finding it was not possible to change the default keystrokes, suggested this may be a learning barrier to people who had learned short-cuts by using other software. The totally non-ironic reply was; what digidesign have created is perfect, therefore it is unnecessary indeed a bad idea to let users change anything.

So yes I suffer from the fact I've used analog stuff, mag film & most DAW's but for others who have only used PT, well it CAN do almost anything you need to do but........$$££***!!

I'm coming from a largely Post for Film/Tv Bg but with quite a lot of music production/engineering experience. And I've used most DAW/sequencer software since the late 1980's. This includes PT,(which I find fundamentally flawed)Nuendo, SAW, Vegas, Soundforge, Logic/Notator (which have have merit & issues)& fairlight, CEP and to a slightly lesser degree Audition which are pretty dam good [IMO].
Sorry, slightly rant mode
JL
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote