View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 AM   #29
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
We could start with device resource acquisition.

Resource types.

First on there is the simplest. Midi controllers in all its forms (absolute, toggle, toggle-through-number-of-states,relative1-3)

But how do you capture OSC resources ?
I'm inexperienced with OSC though.

Presets of resources should be sharable, perhaps via clipboard similar to what ValhallaDSP plugins do or file exchange. Paste/load a preset and ask which device it is referring to, and we have a bunch of new resources ready for use.

Once we have resource acquisition, we can turn to layers and zones. Zones can have their layers switched with actions, which in turn can be triggered from anywhere. That'll be the bigger GUI challenge. Representing the GUI resources, perhaps creating a simplistic layout for users to better remember stuff, and then creating zones from them.

What do you think ?
I was fortunate in having done an iOS app last year.

Learned a hell of a lot about simplicity, pragmatism, taste, etc.

The part that applies to this project is the part that says "The best way to simplify configuration is to eliminate it".

To that end I have started a little POC (proof of concept) that will test some of these ideas.

I'm going to write an iPad app that has an LA2A compressor, complete with multitouch controls.

This app will control (via OSC I think right now) the VST plugin in Reaper.

The goal is to have zero setup.

OSC Gateway apps run on both the host computer and the iPad and discover each other -- zero-config.

After we have reduced the setup/config to as much as possible, we then will have to tackle all the mapping, layering, zoning, etc.

This will likely be an ongoing project with multiple releases of multiple apps on multiple platforms over a number of years.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote