View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
serr
Human being with feelings

I believe the max CPU upgrade for the Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 is the Xeon X5690 3.46 GHz - 3.73 GHz 6 core. 2x CPUs on these machines for total 12 core. I thought there was a 4.something option out there but that may have been misinformation. You need to match the CPU board. Also mind the CPU lids and heat sink spacing!

I still have the stock 2.93 GHz - 3.33 GHz CPUs in mine (8 core total). I'll have 300 track mixes with just as many plugins with 96k audio and a 5.1 mix. Or run live sound with 36 channels of input with low latency settings while recording the multitrack. Unless I start batch converting audio files or rendering video while also mixing, the most I see is 50% CPU use.

That new Mac Pro has some wild parallel bus architecture going on that you don't see anywhere else right now. Great specs but clearly aimed at pro video houses. You can't hardly even max out the last Mac Pro with audio. The new one would be an absurd over purchase for anything audio IMHO.

I'd like to see something new in the high end category from Apple too. (Not just the bleeding edge aimed at Hollywood category.) It's a leap and number of years between the last model and the new one. But then the 5,1 easily has another 10 years in it. And I'm not hitting any wall even with silly large audio projects as well as live work.

And of course I'm also not down with the security chip business they implemented that prevents all 3rd party modding and repair! It may be another genuinely well built 25 year machine but that's just not acceptable!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote