View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #30
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
parts of music are chromatic, jazz especially. so, abbreviate the system down to base-8 which means the chromatic aspects need special modifiers, or make the system base-12 which forces all notes to be written as the notes they are, without modifiers? That is a tradeoff, yes. Removing the need to indicate sharps & flats is desirable, for sure.

Whether that means "even more complex" is debatable. Does increasing english vocabulary make sentences "more complex" or does it make them less complex yet more descriptive & precise?

Removing the emphasis and terminology for major vs. minor is also desirable. There should be just modes, with the zeroeth mode being the default mode (for example ionian). The theory emphasis on major vs. minor is archaic and obsolete.
Let's say we spell a chromatic scale this way:

A B C D E F G H I J K L

Now the diatonic becomes:

A C E F H J L

Is that spelling easier to think about in comparison to:

A B C# D E F# G#

?

And this is one key spelling. Spell out all the keys, triads, 7ths, etc. It gets hairy real fast. I know how those sharps and flats look on the surface. We would like to get rid of them. But one stroke of brilliance in standard music is how those sharps and flats actually simplify things, where we always have that same old same 'A B C D E F G' sequence. It's easy forward and backward and from any point inbetween.

But I am not saying to not think about this stuff. It's how we come to understand things better, by looking at things to see why they are the way they are and trying to see if they can somehow be made better.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-16-2019 at 12:00 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote