View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #90
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
where's the best place to get an overview of the OSC format and how to use/manipulate it?

I've tried the obvious places but for a none programmer (but knows the ins and out of midi protocol) I'm finding OSC hard to get started in, just need a clue on how to format messages, been looking through examples here and it helps, as does the default file but need a massive starters guide (as will others)

I'm sure once I get the basics it will become a hell of a lot more obvious

Hope I'm not the only one!
You are free to define your own namespace in OSC, it is open-ended and dynamic. In this case, Cockos is free to use OSC as they wish, and we are free to ask Cockos to use it in ways that are useful to us. There are some standardization initiatives in this field though, like SynOSCopy, Gesture Description Interchange Format (GDIF), and TUIO is also layered on top of OSC (tbh, I'd much rather like to see polyphonic aftertouch and note-off velocity editing support for plain old MIDI in REAPER than any of this).

Knowing this may not help you become much more comfortable with OSC though; I can say from my own experience that messing around with OSC in Pure data (or Max) did help me a lot in this regard. I'd suggest starting out with something simple like a patch to receive and show OSC data from REAPER. For example, try the patch named "Receiving a simple message" from here with Pure data (use "extended" version which includes mrpeach's OSC stuff), basically all you need to do is change the udp receive port to 9000 (the default value in REAPER's OSC config file) and you can see what REAPER is doing. Hope this helps...