View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #40
RHGraham
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
You're right, I'm not a guitar player. I'll rephrase my disclaimer "Yes, good players use capos sometimes, etc.". The etc. means "Yes, good players use capos (and bar chords) sometimes, etc.". I also checked and it looks like you can spell it either way, bar or barre.

You say "All of those players you listed used Barre cords, of many forms, constantly,". That's not my impression, as a recordist or a fan. I see bar chords rarely used, certainly not constantly. I guess less than 5% of the time. Anyway I don't care what a good guitar player does, I'm talking about the use of bar chords by substandard players as a crutch.

I have an old record called Learn Guitar With the Ventures, or something close. I learned one song in there, and it uses bar chords. Imagine how I felt when I saw them playing the real thing. The chords they used were nothing like what I had learned, and they weren't bar chords.
Sa'll good, I think we might probably agree more than not in person, it's difficult to get the gist of people's meaning on the internet sometimes.

I guess it may depend on what the term barre-chord means to you or any other individual... I'm betting now you are talking about the barre form of open E or A moved around... the "powerchords"; if so, I'm on board with ya 100%. Gets boring/lame quick.

I had a pretty significant life-altering expirience when I was living in Wisconsin, got to meet Mr Paul on quite a few occasions and was floored by his musicianship. Videos or TV does not convey the width and depth of his talent at all. Anyway, he's kinda old school and I am too, a barre chord in that context is really any of the open chord forms repositioned somewhere on the neck, and with the normal "open" strings barred with the index.
So not just that "E" or "A" slid around and riffed.

Also the basis of a couple of methods of lead playing actually, using chord forms as building blocks for scales and modes.

Anyway, I think its just semantics, I'm with ya otherwise.

Besides all that, I do belive its frequency range, room and mic position, and like YEP touched on, a lot about technique of the players, that is what is at the heart of the sound you are seeking.