View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #121
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthook View Post
...A great singer is a relatively rare thing compared to all the other aspects as you are either born with the gift or not, rather than an external instrument...
I think this is often a mistaken notion.

I think it is very possible for weak or bad singers to become good singers, as much as it is possible for clumsy beginning guitar players to become skilled and capable guitarists.

A lot of musicians put years and hundreds of hours of practice into their instrument, and then try to sing. If their singing then sounds bad, they chalk it up to not being born with the right voice or something.

The reality is that the human voice is the most complex, capable, and expressive instrument in existence. Expecting to deliver a good performance simply by virtue of being generally musically inclined is like expecting to be a virtuoso trombonist or French horn player just because you can play the right notes on piano.

I reject the notion of "either born with it or not", based on my own experience. Singers need practice and training at least as much as players of mechanical instruments do.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote