View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 AM   #2501
rainydayshirts
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by frood View Post
this isn't really in sequence with recent posts in this thread, but what the hell, it seems like a good place to discuss it. what are people's thoughts on compressing the entire drum kit, as opposed to just the individual instruments like the snare?

I feel like using compression is one thing (not the only thing) that I haven't really grasped properly. i use it to 'fix' certain tracks, but i've found that automation is far more effective and generally sounds better if you put the time in. but as for using it musically, or as an overt effect, I am still somewhat confused. I have tended to stick to ReaComp and try to go for very gentle levels of compression (as per various recommendations in this thread) but then I think 'why I am i bothering with this, if i cannot hear the effect?'

i ask about compressing the entire kit, because this is where I've found it much easier to discern the effect of the various parameters, especially the attack. so I wondered: is this a common application of a compressor? what are the advantages/disadvantages of using it like this? I use drum VSTis and key in the parts with a MIDI keyboard, so there is at least some variation in volume in the performance for the compressor to work with.
Sort of depends on the sound you are looking for. If you meticulously mix your drums, compression may be used to just "glue" them all together. This would be using gentle compression, like you describe that you can barely discern. Or, you can compress the heck out of the drums, if thats the sound you want. Or send all your drums to a buss, use heavy compression, and mix that in with a second buss that is dry, for a "New York" style compression (parallel compression).Or, you can not use compression at all. I've seen arguments on the technical aspect going both ways, but I would say just use what gets the sound you want, regardless of what "experts" or other artist say is "correct."
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote