View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #22
Philbo King
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
ello->

um- seriously think devs need to reconsider some options after viewing this next video-please take notice!!!

this was 1st realised a few years ago by the blender and colour management communities-> solutions are being resolved in the next stable blender updates!!

cheerz.

go aces/filmic plz!
[Edit - Sorry for this rambling and thread derailing post. I got inspired by Bri's video... ]

This is a very technical (and application specific) video, but it addresses stuff that I've struggled with in the past in a very interesting way.

One example (related only to intensity, not color): In the '90s I was tasked with designing a circuit board for measuring the ambient light in a Boeing 777 cockpit. It sounds trivial but wasn't. The light varies by an amazing amount, from flying over the ocean in an overcast night with no moon to flying with the sun shining directly into the pilots eyes. This represents a huge dynamic range of about 50000:1 (just shy of 100 dB), which had to be measured with a precision of 12 bits at all light levels. The sensor output was a current ranging from a few picoamps to tens of milliamps. It took me about 2 months to come up with with a way to do this electronically, including automatically range switching the gains of linear op amps without any loss in precision. It isn't the toughest problem I encountered, but it's in the top 10...

The eye handles this with pupils, giving a log curve to its brightness response that allows it to easily handle exponentially varying light levels. Electronic optics (like displays and cameras) are inherently linear. This leads to all the color, hue, and brightness transform functions required in software to convincingly map the display dynamic range capability to the much vaster response of the eye.

It's certainly a nontrivial job, as illustrated by the video. And a huge knowledge rabbithole a person could disappear into for several months... Thanks for sharing it Bri.

Last edited by Philbo King; 12-06-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote