View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That MDA package looks as though it's 32-bit. (I can't get the .so files to show up in Reaper either but I'm using 64-bit Linux.)

Anyway:

Witti's MDA JS plugins (Among a large pack of plugins, there are the MDA ones in there too.)
Very cool and downloaded! The Sub-Bass plugin is one I've used to help kick drum out on some projects, so that will be nice to have as a native plug again. I haven't combed through them all but round pan and tremolo were a couple others I always liked.

Quote:
Bristol is a standalone synth that you use with JACK to make it work with your DAW. It's not a plugin...at least not that I could find any info about. Anyway it's in the Debian repositories (I found it in Synaptic) so you don't need to compile. And the compile instructions, in the downloadable source package, seem really easy (if you can't get it from a repo). But it's not a plugin. Lots of Linux synths are standalone, meant to be used with JACK.
Sure enough it was in Synaptic, but it doesn't seem to show up as anything that can be launched after installing it, so I killed it. Too bad it can't be used as a plugin. I spent a minute looking for a way to run it, but even if I could get it to run stand alone using Jack, it wouldn't have much value if I can't use it in a REAPER project.

Quote:
I've used LoudMax, years ago. I stopped using plugins meant specifically for that kind of thing though, as I started using more/different compressors/saturators. When I combine a few things each doing its own thing, I get more control. Maybe LoudMax has become something more interesting to me since then, but I've kind of stopped expecting one plugin to "do it all". For instance now on the master I like ReaComp and Airwindows IronOxide. Anyway there are a number of plugins which can help add loudness in various ways as a "one knob" sort of approach. Airwindows has a few, and there are some JS plugins that can help (and the GVST ones). Clippers, loudness thingies, multi-band compression, etc....it's all good.
I didn't really want LoudMax to increase volume in any way, but to simply hold the line specifically for my acoustic drums. It's WAY too easy to get a peak with acoustic drums, and reducing them to the point where no overs happen, makes them sound wimpy and timid.

For the test song I did using only REAPER's included FX, I had an instance of the JS Master Limiter on each of my four drum tracks. In the past, I've used a Windows plugin, which I do have working in WINE, but if I could go with something native that would be better.

The JS Mastering Limiter does do the job, but from what I gather, JS plugins are at least to some degree interpreted at runtime, so I'm assuming something that is 100% compiled would be more efficient.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote