View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Distance isn't important. Connecting to an existing network is. BT, USB or whatever is limitied to controlling one host.
That's my point, you get distance *and* the fact there is no existing network to worry about. I've already tested this as far as WiFi'ing them with each other, it's plenty fast and reliable because the microcontrollers literally have nothing else to do.

The only concern would be interference from other WiFi networks but that would be a non-issue since we aren't talking actually using large distances. For example, I also use these for my home automation and my motion/light sensors for light switches can turn the lights on when I enter the room in 100ms or less and that's while on my home network and taking 3-4 hops through various endpoints and two servers. Two 8266s talking only to each other are far faster than that.

I really wish I had my own use case and time, I'd mock up proof of concept and demonstrate - or you can check out cnlohr's YT channel where he's has a real time oscilloscope demo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISbmQTbjDI Keep in mind, my stuff above isn't even using web sockets.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote