View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #128
ted
Human being with feelings

Default I'Ve dOne CliMbED tha - FIREWIRE MOUNTAIN !!!!

got REAMOTE to work using FIREWIRE............. actually, has been working since, yesterday some time.............

i had to download the Stillwell Spectro Vst to use alongside the "Breaking Barriers"......(reaper's,, "how to mix a real nice song handbook")... during the install is when i saw,,,,,,,, and the lights flashed, purple, green, red & yellow..and, no,,not a flashback from the 60's. i stopped decades, ago............................................... ...........

when i opened the vst and noticed for the 1st time that a remote #2 connection was active a option, "knew, i'd done been stupid, again.."
probably a song somewhere in that....!!!!!!!

born stupid, die not as stupid, but by not much,,,corporate policy.........

anyway, i done so much writing in last couple of days, on reamote, thought i go ahead and run some numbers on same song i've been referring to in previous posts.

so here it be....

64bit vst processing...
local area network / 10/100 router....
cpu 58 to 69%
fx's processed, locally, consumed 48% of total 58 to 69% cpu consumption
local area network.. 10/100 router connection shows 54% utilization

then i moved all remotely processed vst's from remote 1 to remote 2, firewire connection...
cpu 59 to 72%
locally processed fx's consumed 50% of the total 59 to 72% cpu consumption
firewire connection 13 to 23% network utilization

then i moved firewire connection down to 32 bit vst processing
cpu 59 to 68%
locally processed fx's consumed 49% of the 59 to 68% cpu consumption
firewire connection stayed fairly constant at 7 to 10% network utilization

i have a few vsti's that reamote just won't load and i have to process locally.. so i end mixing those that will reamote with those that won't..
a neat trick would be to allow 2 fx chains on a single track... then vst load could be better balanced between master and slave computers..( mr.reaperman,you hear?). it is a problem that reamote doen't send back meter responses and such.i do those by ear.... don't matter on most vst's....
on some vst's its a big matter..... so, they get local processing on master computer...and, would you not know it, they generally be the cpu crunchers, too..

don't think any of this matters to many, but to a few who are attempting to process vst's using reamote may find the numbers interesting.

thanx,
ted

STUDENT: School of Hard Knocks
ted is offline   Reply With Quote