View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #67
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post
Yeah and sometimes even posting your stuff on internet forums is a recipe for disaster too because we all know how internet forums like that work don't we!?

It's all the big, hey here's my song, will you smoke its pole...then I'll smoke your song's pole when you post yours.
Normal humans are often very considerate when giving feedback, it's just being courteous. Few people really ever ask "Would you buy this if it were for sale?" or "Do you think my singing is good enough for a successful career?". They ask for feedback on the mix or production and we surround those constructive criticisms with praise so as to encourage people and stay positive. That's how community works.

But people will publicly and crudely slam known commercial artists work in detail but never do that to people they personally know who may (or may not) be less talented. That's why I think the most objective feedback is totally in the blind. People usually speak the honest to goodness truth when there is no immediate fear of offending or discouraging anyone.

If you really want to know what the general public thinks of your music (if you care which you may not) remove those community / personal barriers and you'll find out. It's nerve wracking. I recall doing that with people who I mixed their demos and being nervous about whether a stranger in the crowd would say it sounds like a crap mix. Obviously, they'd never say that if they knew I mixed it and was standing there, or say a painting sucks if the painter is standing right there.

People who think Brittney Spears truly sucks as an singer (like me) would never say that to her face unsolicited. It would be rude. But if she asked me if I'd ever bought any of her music I'd tell the truth and say "no". If she asked me why I might tell her it's generally because "..no offense, I just don't think you're a very good singer...".

So yeah... there is usually a little bit of pole smoking going on in a community setting.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote