View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #57
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Hmmm...

...I always thought one trick of commercially successful music is just that predictability (the hook). Hear 30 secs and be able to karaoke the rest... simple structures like ABABA, simple chord progression, simple lyrics that everybody can bawl along - even after 10 beers.
There are subtle variations in those hooks. Growth at times. Musical additions. Subtle changes in energy level. You may not recognize it but it's there. Not just copy/pasting the first chorus through the entire song. Notice how in that example I posted there are string melodies in the last chorus that aren't anywhere else in the song. Musical growth.

Lyrically yes, songs repeat pretty much the same thing lyrically on the hooks, with interesting harmony variations at times. When I talked about boring predictable lyrics I was talking mostly about the verses.

I'm not talking Brittney Spears here. Motown is a great study source in production technique if anyone really wants to learn. Those songs "grow up" over three minutes. To see another interesting variation of that same lyrical theme see "I Wanna Go Outside (In The Rain)" by The Dramatics.

I'll bow out now and give it back to the man Yep. My comments are strictly as a music buyer and what I don't get from many self produced songs. They (many) just aren't very interesting.

That's part of the record producers job, to make it more interesting, exciting, emotional, whatever.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-01-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote