View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #2458
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Vera View Post
...I would like to ask about frequency masking effect.
Do you spend time to listen and look for problematic freq. Or do they come obvious? How do you manage to identify them? I think Lowering the volume is a way, do you do other things?

I find my self rolling a hpf across the spectrum to evidence them. And I'm not sure if this is a good practice.

Thankyou so much for your time!!!
I have a few different approaches to eq. It all starts with a gut-level sense of how happy or unhappy I am with the sound. I might spend two minutes or two hours on any given track. Here are some of my starting points:

- Take a relatively narrow-band Q (1.2 or so) and crank it up, then sweep it around, and try to find the worst/ugliest frequency you can. Then invert it, and reduce it by 3-6dB. Repeat as desired.

- A neat trick, especially with tracks that are difficult to sit in the mix, is to solo the track, turn down the speaker volume so that you can barely hear the track, then use EQ to turn down prominent frequencies until the track becomes "invisible". Very often, if you turn the track back up a few dB, it will sound much higher quality after you "disappeared" it in this way.

Last edited by yep; 06-24-2016 at 06:39 PM.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote