View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #164
Fex
Human being with feelings

^ You're half right.... yet quite wrong....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesmyteeth View Post
I've got around this by duplicating the whole project, then using the new version of the project, deleting every track except for the guitar & master, then rendering this to an mp3.
So far, so good....
Quote:
Next I have opened the original project, deleted the guitar track and replaced it with the mp3. I repeated this with the piano track.
They both sound the same as the originals
Um... no, they don't. They really don't.

REAPER's mp3 rendering with LAME is superb, but mp3 is not a lossless format, and it is not a good format to use where audio quality is important.

The tip works if the parts with the troublesome plugins are rendered to wav. This can be done within a project by right clicking on the track and choosing Render/freeze tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals).

You can delete the originals if you want to, but there's really no need to. The plugins won't use any CPU once they're disabled.

Mp3 is a good format to use in side projects where audio quality doesn't matter. For example, you might render an entire project to mp3 so as to save resources while you record a solo for it... and the thing to do then would be to throw the mp3 away, and move the solo to the original project, but in wav format, not mp3.
Quote:
I have a project that is running 2 tracks (guitar & piano) through the same VST reverb
Typically this uses 70% of my CPU and my little netbook hates this and will crash.
A better solution might be to use a more efficient reverb....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote