View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 AM   #31
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
APPLYING LAYOUTS FROM THE SCRIPT

As noted by strachupl, this has been removed. This is a big decision that would benefit from more discussion, I would welcome your thoughts. To recap:

The script previously allowed you to select a size and apply a layout (A, B or C) to the selected tracks on MCP or TCP. The way this worked with the scale functionality was confusing and fundamentally flawed because the script cannot know what size Reaper is drawing a layout after its done its HiDPI thing.

There are also some complicated minutiae about how Reaper regards 'default' layouts, that ultimately can only be accurately represented in Reaper's own layout menus.

So.

What we have here is me trying the nuclear option : if the only place it really makes sense is the Reaper's layout menus, let them be the only place you apply layouts.

I personally find this extremely tiresome and absolutely would prefer to apply layouts from within the script, as I am fiddling with it, even at the cost of it occasionally being non-obvious what's going on with what Reaper regards as the 'default' layout. If you agree, please speak up!

How to deal with the scale thing is a trickier matter. My best guess is to do three buttons: "Apply Layout" "Apply Layout 150%" "Apply Layout 200%". What you actually get would depend on the HiDPI scale you are running at, but that would perhaps be a) obvious and b) easily fixed by pressing one of the other buttons right next to it.

If this were to be done, that would beg the question of whether to also have those three buttons on the docked version of the script, or whether they would be confusing clutter there, which I suspect might be true.

These are contentious decisions so I would welcome your perspective.
Uh-oh...

This is an integral part of the CSI design -- well Ok not integral , we can work around it, but Geeeeez, was REALLY hoping for it

Seriously, one the headaches when designing for control surfaces is the notion of indicating modes -- what mode is this surface in ? -- Track? -- FX? -- Sends ?

The ability to change layouts by script allows for fabulous visual feedback -- different layouts for Track, Sends, FX, etc. triggered by script.

Hope it can be allowed back in, warts and all, if that's the only way