View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #72
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
What is the definition of 'unaffiliated'?
Intended by the player to be assigned to a different instrument creating a new sound instead of to the same instrument and creating a legato transition. Of course the keyboard or any software only can guess what the player means.

Obviously this is a general/basic issue with MPE, and I suppose there are discussions about this in ROLI-forums ?!?!?
Quote:
If you want legato out of the Roli, you need to set ch count to 1. Legato is a monophonic idea, no?
Now we are back to "on the fly" having the Seaboard switch the channel count (or other internal settings) to be usable for different patches/sounds/plugins, my means of being sent an appropriate command via Midi. To me this is the issue to be solved to make it decently usable for me.

Quote:
But also, the idea with MPE is that you can just DO legato, rather than IMPLYING it by your note choices.
"Legato" is not (necessarily) something like pitch bend. If moving the finger on a Sax or trumpet you'll get intermediate sound (overtone structure, noise, ...) during the transition. Even though I suppose it can be done, but I don't think there (yet) are physical modeling plugins that detect the finger slide in MPE as a physical legato and not as a pitch bend. A legato on a sax or a trumpet can be done with greater distances than a semitone in a single step. What gesture in the ROLI would denote that ?

What exactly will the ROLI send when you press a "key" and slide your finger to the next (or second next or ...) ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-05-2018 at 07:44 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote