View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
Eraz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Many of us see the issue. We just haven't taken the in-depth time Eraz did to report detailed findings (thanks Eraz!) But this has been an issue with larger screens and higher track counts for quite some time. There have been a few improvements for faster redraw but nothing to really alleviate the behavior.

There also has been much discussion about GPU hardware not being used. For instance, Reaper uses VLC as its first choice for video playback. VLC has hardware decoding but the general VLC library Reaper is using doesn't have any hardware decoding. I'm not pointing any fingers here as maybe VLC isn't making it easy idk, but man it would be nice to have my expensive Nvidia card be handling hardware decoding of video playback.

This is one of those things where I think Justin and Schwa just need to take the pain and do a re-vamp of the underlying graphics foundation. Right now, I can literally feel the pain of them trying to do all the HiDPI updates in all the different places. I think putting an updated solid graphics foundation in place that takes into account modern hardware would alleviate much of this and also really help progress moving forward so that these types of issues aren't as crippling as they are now.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the semi-hijack. Back to Eraz's findings...
Thanks for your contribution! I think it is also important to talk about these things as HiDPI/hi-res is becoming standard. Most people I know who are working in media or tecnical sectors already use at least 1440p.

Today I took some time and tried to reproduce this issue on 2 systems which are completely different from mine, to report my findings here. And in both cases I was able to get about the same behaviour on 4k (I downloaded and installed Reaper directly from the homepage and then opened the project I attached in this thread):

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8X 3,7Ghz - 32gb RAM - 500gb SSD M2 - GTX 1080 ti - Windows 1803 installed on June 2019

AMD FX8300 8x 3,3 GHz - 8gb RAM - 256 SSD - GT 1030 - Windows 1909 freshly installed yesterday

So now I am pretty sure that this must be an issue for everyone with higher resolutions.
Reaper is easily one of the best DAWs out there in terms of stability, features and customization. I worked long time in Cubase and thought it was the best DAW for me, because it just did everything I needed at that time. But I had some issues with it here and there lately, so I tried out Reaper and I have to admit I am a convert now. Nearly everything I needed a fix for in Cubase was already there in Reaper. The only thing which keeps me from using it primarily is, that my projects just don't work well on my screens.

Last edited by Eraz; 01-14-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote