View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #4298
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Please describe this workflow a bit more -- when you say 4 buttons, how do you use them ?
Sure thing. That's the problem with CSI, Geoff, it's just too darn versatile. I doubt two people are going to end up using it in exactly the same way.

I use Marker, ChanStrip, Track and Function on the C4 to exclusively access different parameter Zones in the currently focussed FX.

Originally I used the whole of the C4 Surface for a focussed FX, but now with sends and the FX menu available, I 'm building maps that leave a couple of rows free, so the sends and the FX menu don't get overwritten by the FX parameters.

Each of the four buttons access a group of the single FX's parameters, so in something like Sonnox Oxford Dynamics, one button calls up the comp, another the limiter, another the gate and the last the expander. That's 8 x 2 Rotaries/Pushes for each Zone/button.

In things like the Relab480, I put the primary reverb parameters in one zone and use the others for the ER delays and filters etc.

I always map the same controls to the same widget across plugins eg in compressor plugins Threshold is always D1, Ratio D2, Attack D3, Release D4. In EQ plugins RowD is Gain, RowC Freq. You get the idea, muscle memory and all that.

The ParentZone is always assigned to the Marker button, the Zone name is always the plugin name, say VST3: Oxford Dynamics (Sonnox).The Zone file name is a legal character derived version of this. ChanStrip is always VST3: Oxford Dynamics (Sonnox)-2, Track is always VST3: Oxford Dynamics (Sonnox)-3 and Function is always VST3: Oxford Dynamics (Sonnox)-4. It's the easiest way to ensure all Zones across all plugins have a unique name and it matches up with the file name.

I have to say so far most plugins fit into the number of Zones/Widgets available. The modifiers just expand the number available beyond a reasonable doubt I'm not bothered about latching- as you point out, there are no indicators on the modifiers to show its status. I only mentioned it because it happens implicitly in the modifier+SomeButton GoZone scenario. Once the new Zone is accessed, you don't have to keep the modifier+SomeButton held down to stay in the Zone- it's latched by default.

There's no difference whether you access more parameters by building modifier definitions into the ParentZone or accessing them using modifier+SomeButton GoZone SomeAdditionalFXZone (if it worked) or by just having more buttons like Marker, ChanStrip, Track and Function to access additional FX Zones.

It's just a lot harder to build the modifier definitions into the ParentZone (and be able to reload them) in the Configurator.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote