Thread: Reaper OSC
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
im noticing OSC in more and more devices now.. i think the growth in tablets and apps like touchOSC and Lemur is directing manufacturers to implement it their devices a lot more.. most newer digital consoles have OSC..
Still, something like a simple keyboard that 'speaks' OSC is still kind of exotic. About as rare as one with USB only, without plain MIDI output, I guess. I suppose that allowing for infinitely flexible configuration more or less implies that all the important stuff will happen on the software side. Simple hardware that does not require any configuration and 'just works' out of the box is simply not an option anymore. But yeah, things have certainly been moving forward in the last years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
would be good to see more support for it in reaper.. to easily create OSC commands on JS faders which can run seperate from the wildcard naming in the config file.. load dummy faders, right click and type an OSC command you want.. nice and easy..
You can do that, sort of, by using MIDI Learn. You can't just type the desired address/command, but it's often easy enough to type that on the other end and send it. What's really missing there, is feedback. Simple tick boxes for send / receive / bidirectional in the MIDI Learn window, where are you? Right now, REAPER will only responding to incoming OSC messages for learned bindings, i.e. it does not provide feedback - same as for MIDI (and tbh, feedback for plain MIDI is probably much more useful for more people than for OSC).