View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #108
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Your parameter value rescaling example for ReaEQ is so cool, is this implemented into Reaper in the meantime or do we still need your pd hack for this? You are totally right, why dealing with all frequencies when in practice, in the western world we use only a subset of pitch positions, thus frequencies, under normal cases. Every ReaEQ should have a checkbox on its GUI saying "I want Banned style intelligent ReaEQ". banned, boreg & bang brothers tips should not be ignored by the Cock team. Ohh, I forgot the os.
I'm not sure if we need to use OSC for this; there may be other ways as well, but it's definitely not implemented in REAPER as a standard feature. Using Pd is certainly not necessarily. It should be relatively easy to make a similar lookup table using other tools for converting the 128 steps of a 7 bit MIDI CC# to arbitrary OSC values. Of course a displaying the transform curve function on a graph is nice, having it editable is nice too, but that's just for show really. A simple 2 dimensional array without GUI would already suffice to do the job just fine, and can relatively easily be done in pretty much any language or platform. It just makes for much less illustrative demo video's.

I actually like to be able to fine-tune frequencies very precisely and sweep them very smoothly, too. And I occasionally like to play some non-western scales as well (I'm currently having a lot of fun playing with Indian scales). It just makes sense to me that for 7 bit CC# control of frequencies over the audible range, the default scaling should be using the western 12tET scale since that is pretty much the standard.