View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
danfuerth
Human being with feelings

DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE PERIOD ON ANY Live Production DAW

The Windows updates are done first on a secondary similar hardware machine then tested and then the Daw is updated

No good admin would do this on running desktop workstation clients, a few are done first before all others go through the updates.

DO NOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN.

I have never used Windows Update, not lying here NEVER at home on my desktops or laptops

Always install Service Packs instead

I also do not run antivirus ever since Windows 98.

The only important thing to remember : KISS "Keep it simple stupit"

I am not sure if you are aware but I run Linux ( puppy linux slacko) for my daily computer use. I only use Windows for Daw and Video works.

I have always dualbooted Windows with Linux. These days I am so used to Puppy Linux that I won't use anything else LOL.

A big tip for Windows users, is to always have file extensions ON, as they are always off by default.

Example of sneak Brontok spyware and why people keep reinfecting themselves

data ( looks like a folder)

People click on it too late !!! lol

let's look at it with file extensions on

data.exe ( now you know it's not a folder, right click and delete this crap)

brontok is one of worse spyware out there, because it relies on the fact the file extensions are always off, so people keep reinfecting themselves over and over. And as soon as you put a memory card or flash drive into that system it will copy brontok to the SD card or jump drive, so basically infecting others as well!!

This all due to people keeping file extensions off.

Yes with file extensions On you have to be more careful when rename files as the extension will also be editable.

At my computer store that I have, I have told the 2 par time guys anytime they see any hints of Brontok, they are to call the customer and ask them to bring in any SD cards or jump drives, because if we clean their system as soon as they get it home REINFECTION lol.

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-13-2013 at 08:45 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote