View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #84
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
...Mind you I'm now thinking I should allow for the possibility that he might be able to sell the results - in which case I really should get more than 2% - or a proper rate.
Get a music lawyer if you intend to write a percentage deal. And never, ever do a percentage deal without getting it in writing and all lawyered up (really, I mean, do not even accept it if the guy offers, just do it for free and hope he gets famous and hires you on). It will poison his career and probably ensure that the record never makes any money, since no "real" business wants to touch something where a third party has some nebulous percentage and ill-defined claim. Besides, asking him to give you 2% of record he sells at a bar or whatever is more trouble than it's worth, and that technically puts him in breach of contract.

If you want to get paid, just write down who owes what to whom and put a price and terms on it, making sure to put in terms that you own the recordings until final payment is made. Might be $500 or $500,000, depending on everything else.

If the guy really wants to give you a piece of something, get a piece of the songwriting. All you need to do is write down the name of the song, the lyrics, and that you own X% and the other person owns Y%. Then both of you sign copies, preferably with a credible witness, and you all keep a copy.

As an aside, if all you are doing is recording and mixing, then you're just acting as an engineer and there is no reason to mess with producer credits.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote