View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #32
wwwmaze
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
YV12 version:
Quick note of explanation:

In YV12 mode, the image is processed with 4 pixels at a time (apologies for inaccuracies in terminology):
  • y1 = top row, left luminance
  • y2 = top row, right luminance
  • y3 = bottom row, left luminance
  • y4 = bottom row, right luminance
  • u = U for 4 pixels
  • v = V for 4 pixels
U/V are sort of a vector defining the color and saturation, roughly speaking (not exactly), with values of 128 meaning centered (zero). So their filter states need to get initialized to 128.

So this filter runs the two Y rows as separate filters (avoiding some extra shuffling), and U/V filters separate
Thanks Justin, that's a great explanation. Everything is crystal clear now.

Quote:
The U/V filters probably should have different coefficients since they are running at half the rate
Thanks for the YV12 blur! I see how that could be causing problems. I'm no expert so I need to (and going to) read into it.

Quote:
Both this filter and the simpler one-pole filter have some weird effects on the color/saturation. It might actually make more sense to convert the U/V values to polar coordinates and filter that, but that would be excruciatingly slow.
Since u and v are set to 128 (=zero saturation) at the border and the effect increases at higher sigmas I have a strong feeling that this may be caused by the problem above. I'll investigate further.

Last edited by wwwmaze; 11-19-2018 at 02:41 PM.
wwwmaze is offline   Reply With Quote