View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

When I first came to Linux about 8 or 9 months ago, I had zero expectations that REAPER would be usable and set my machine up to dual boot Windows 7 and Xubuntu.

I thought I would use Windows 7 offline since support ends in 2020, and do everything besides music in Linux which would be online.

I never even tried the Windows version in WINE, but a month after installing Linux Justin dropped the test version for Linux on the main site, so I grabbed it. A week later I posted about the high latency I was getting with Windows plugins but I was using "airwave" as my VST bridge and could only run it with a minimum of 512 samples.

Then I found LinVST and can now run Windows plugins at the same 64 samples latency that I used in Windows. Since then I have replaced most of my audio processing plugins with native Linux versions, some free and some paid.

Because of all this unexpected success in running REAPER for Linux, I am now contemplating the vaporization of the Windows 7 half of my dual boot DAW, because I need Windows that much.

In summary, my experience with REAPER after switching OSs has been quite like my move from Win7 32-bit to Win7 64-bit. When I moved to 64-bit, every one of my plugins were bridged except for the native REAPER plugs. One-by-one I replaced them with native 64-bit versions only using a handful that I couldn't find replacements for. That's where I'm at with REAPER for Linux. Only stuff I'm bridging now are VSTi plugins like Kontakt, Piano Essentials, Superior Drummer, Etc. Almost all my audio VST plugs are now native Linux, and I'm only still bridging a couple like PSP Vintage Warmer which I'll eventually replace with U-he's "Presswerk", but are going to cost me some coin to do.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote