View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #50
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I came from using multiple DAW tracks for takes in 1998 beginning with Logic, it is terrible in comparison. If you could provide an example (possibly in it's own thread) of tracking 48 tracks, with multiple takes each, including 12 tracks of live drums with multiple takes of those + the remaining tracks of overdubs done at different times also with lets say 3-20 takes each, all chopped up at different times per take across the timeline (aka lots of spits per item), all of that handled with new take = new track… I'd be interested in seeing how it could even remotely compete.
If I was flying multitrack drum takes between recording bin and arrangement like that, I'd make a shortcut for flying up/down by 12 tracks with a single key stab. I would still never start making new tracks for new takes. I'd fly them to the final arrangement tracks as I described. (I'd have multiple sets for the drums if there was to be two instances of drums in parts of the mix or if there was some tricky cross-fading to do between some takes for some reason.

I think a few people are trying to suggest keeping it simple like that and keeping the new recorded item takes stacking up in lanes as Reaper does and adding some of the compelling comp features to THAT. Seems like a reasonable request (or at least it does without digging into the nuts and bolts and if you're already into this kind of workflow).

I'm not trying to modify your opinions or workflow, but that's how I'd handle that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote