View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
SebyMusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
You've got to pick your headroom target and your average spl target. There are any number of people who will give you any number of answers on what is right. Bob Katz has that K system and I think it's pretty decent rule of thumb. Since I mix mostly music, and prefer things just a bit louder overall, I have my music machine calibrated to -14dbFS ~ 85dbSPL. But then my "living room machine" which is in the same room connected to the same system is for watching movies and stuff and I calibrated that so that -23dbFS ~ 85dbSPL, and listening to music on the living room machine is almost dangerous...

Put the meter as close to where your head is going to be as possible, pointed dead center between the monitors - probably at your computer screen. There's a JS Pink Noise generator. Crank it up until the Master RMS meter reads at your headroom target. Then adjust whatever is responsible for the level of your monitors in the analog world until the meter reads your average spl target.

But then crank it up in Reaper and see if whatever you've got on the analog side starts to peak/clip/overdrive/distort before Reaper's peak meter hits 0dbFS. It would be nice to have at least a decibel after your DAC tops out. Preferably 6. If you can't get that, you've chosen too high an SPL target or too small amp/monitors.

In order to tell you which knobs you should turn in the analog world, I'd need to know what knobs you've got available.

Hi, ok, I think you lost me lol.
I really need steps cause I don't know the metering terms .. I'm new to all this.
What I mean

1- Open project
2- Create Empty track
3- put fader level to default position
4- Put Master fader to default position.
5- Insert JS pink noise on track.
6- NOW WHAT.
How to setup the plugin correctly.
What metering plugin on master track to have the right output before even cranking up the speakers
How to setup that plugin in the master section.
After that, what is a GOOD Android SPL meter APP.
How to set it up correctly
Then I crank the speaker L first then right at probably 80-82. but 80, 82 what?
Then both together, but I should get what level Together.
etc..

See what I mean?
Also, I have a sub woofer. Should I put it down for the metering test?
tks

Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote