View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #89
Tonehenge
Human being with feelings

Default No time-alignment issues here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
Actually, I'm not sure about if that is as good (probably less good on its side, realistically - I think most monitors supposedly are not as good on their side due to time-alignment issues that I can't remember).

I was just thinking doing so would let you quickly test your new monitors, without a lot of dismantling (if your recording area is like mine, you don't have an excess of free horizontal space to put something like a monitor, even temporarily)
The beauty of this design is that the high frequency and low frequency driver are on the same axis. You can rotate the cabinet anyway you like. Phase difficulties happen in the crossover region, and the output from a tweeter tends to lobe vertically in a conventional speaker, especially in those areas where the tweeter and mid-woofer are both functioning. You'll notice that speaker designers will deal with this by offsetting the drivers in a mirror image arrangement (NS10M's do this). The beauty of the Equator approach is that it addresses the issue both mechanically (in the form of a time-aligned coaxial driver), and electro-digitally (using DSP to address crossover issues in a way that would be very difficult to emulate in a passive speaker dividing network). More than anything, else, this R&D is what is responsible for an uncommonly transparent and revealing midrange.