View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #2479
ringing phone
Human being with feelings

Hi everyone, my username here is a direct result of something YEP said in one of the earlier parts of the thread...

He said that some songs suffer from a 'ringing phone' sound effect kind of buried in the mix due to over-compression of high frequencies...or similar high frequency ranges all being over-compressed together. Wait. I'll try to find the exact post. Hang on.

Here is what yep says: (it's post #189)

The effect comes from having really saturated highs that get rapidly modulated (pumped up and down in level) by aggressive digital look-ahead limiters and multiband compression. This is an ugly process in a lot of ways, but when it starts tracking really fast-moving signal such as the individual cycles of low-frequency content (yes, this happens), then it starts to modulate more delicate and sensitive parts of the sound.

So anyway...in the first 45 seconds or so of this song I mixed...I believe I am actually getting this effect. Can anyone hear it?

https://soundcloud.com/user-186908625/half-price-gold

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? I'm guessing the 9:1 compression on the bass guitar is doing some funky stuff, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, if anyone out there stumbles on this post in this giant of a thread and can offer any advice that'd be great.

Thanks