View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #22
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
There is "financial incentive" at Cockos . . . Since when?
A fair point. It's one I thought of when I realized there was a Reaper for Linux, that it wasn't just people using Reaper with Wine. Then I noticed there was an ARM build too. So clearly the development of Reaper isn't solely based on what makes the most money for the devs. I just wouldn't expect they'd want to go far off track effectively promising continual support for plugins to run in an OS they were never meant to, through changes to kernels and various not-totally-VST-compliant things that Windows VST devs do, and so on.

Quote:
I cared more about LV2 support a while back than I do now. I've purchased numerous native Linux VST plugins that are getting all my audio plugin tasks accomplished, but Linux still needs better VSTi support for instruments that are NOT another freekin' synth that I don't need or want.
Yeah there are a lot of synth plugins available, but there's a lot of overlap. It's a really good time for synthwave folks who want to use Linux, I figure.

Yeah having LV2 support would be nice but I can live without it too. JSFX covers so much ground it's crazy. Speaking of which, have you tried the latest version of ReEQ?

Quote:
Here's a thought. Can't you run REAPER FX remotely over a network? Just put all your Windows plugins on a dedicated Windows REAPER FX server
Or better yet, delete them permanently and install Linux on that computer while setting fire to your Windows install disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Are there any serous issues with reaper/Linux (when using just native Linux plugins, and decently supported hardware) ?
No. This is from my anecdotal experience on 2 different computer systems, running various distros/kernels. So I don't speak for all scenarios, but it's remarkably solid and stable for me.

On that note Glen, I've tried the following distros so far (I might be missing one in this list):
  • MX Linux
  • Ubuntu
  • Kubuntu
  • Xubuntu
  • Linux Mint Cinnamon
  • Linux Mint Mate
  • Linux Mint XFCE (plus I tried all different WMs/compositors while using Nvidia and AMD GPU)
I'm currently using Xubuntu and that's probably where I'll stay. I have its compositor disabled, and installed Compton plus a thing to help edit its settings easily (plus I also edit the compton.conf file a bit). That video wonkiness I was describing is gone; it's smooth for everything other than videos which are just wonky themselves.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote