View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #21
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

One thing I'd like to share here is that although Auratones are not known for their deep bass response, they actually ARE capable of reproducing a fairly smooth response down to around 30 - 40Hz. Obviously they're not going to shake walls but given that they're typically used in very near field applications, they don't need to shake walls!!

I have an EQ preset in RME Totalmix that I've created to compensate for the LF rolloff of the Auratones and I can get them to quite smoothly reproduce quite a full spectrum with a decent amount of transient response and quite low distortion.
In fact, if I run a tone generator into them and sweep it down to 30Hz, the response shows very little in the way of peaks and dips. If I stand around twelve feet away, I can clearly hear the 30Hz sine wave!

The first time I did this, I had to double check and make sure my subs weren't running. I actually put my hand on the cones just to be sure!! Once I'd done that, I then checked the surrounds which contain a 12" driver in each to make sure THEY weren't running! I couldn't believe the amount of useful energy that low coming from such tiny boxes!!

Seriously, if you haven't already, try it. You'll be stunned! Auratones are MUCH more useful than just for checking a mono mix or the midrange balance.
After using mine now for many years, I'd be at a loss without them.