View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Perhaps you could source the important and difficult parts in building one of these. There's still a lot of labour involved though.
Interestingly, the case Neve1073lover used for his build is the EXACT same case I used to build a custom preamp I built for a friend for location recording in surround. The unit I designed and built for him had phantom power, five channels of preamps, headphone monitoring and PFL circuits for the headphone output and Dolby ProLogic surround encoding with a stereo output for his DAT machine. It also had inserts and direct outs too.
I designed and built that for him fifteen years ago and he still uses it. We've actually recorded quite a few live albums with that setup although these days the DAT machine has been replaced with a laptop.

I'm working with him on a soundtrack for a documentary next week so I might see if I can get some photo's of that preamp and post them here.
that's awesome. Make sure you take off the lid when you snapping pictures! My dream build would be just a channel strip based on or at least highly inspired by a neve 1084 and a UA 1176. maybe when i win the lotto I'll send you a PM about it...

I need to stop looking up all this drooly vintage gear or I'll start getting sad... ha!

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote