View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Deric
Human being with feelings

Hi Xenakios,

Well... I'm learning C++ as a direct result of Cockos opening up elements of REAPER. As you know I started this 'game' on Friday (with your and SWS' help) and am trying to understand how things can communicate.

As far as this specific question goes - I wanted to be able to drive a program's decision based upon the result of a second program.

I want to keep things as compact, and as modular, as possible.

I was also hoping to be able to implement this idea with testing stuff.

I think I've got another couple of days of solid learning until I feel I have a grip on the basics of the commands. This will enable me to be able to 'read' code much faster than at present.

As you know, we learn a lot by reading how others have implemented a solution to a given problem.

Specifically, at this stage, I am looking at trying to do a ground-up write of the 01X (surface) program as I'll learn a lot doing this - which will be useful for implementing other stuff, i.e. integrating other kit easily and quickly.

Ultimately I want to be able to drive REAPER from surfaces (for the most part) with 'intelligent' surface switching and mapping for VST/VSTis etc.

Basically - I want to get to a place where everything is 'focus' driven, with the additional benefit of being able to 'see' (on the REAPER GUI) how everything is mapped onto whatever surface(s) one is using...

So I guess I'll be asking about GUI-semi-transparency in a few weeks... (you'd best get reading mate )