View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 02:02 AM   #13
buckman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
There's two things going on here.
1. The OP seems to be about conforming a recording to the grid. Stretching / squeezing the item in one way or another.
2. Tempo mapping is about conforming the grid to the recording (usually by placing a load of tempo/ timsig markers)

MusoBob's ReaTrak stuff helps make (2) simple. It's great. But the tempo varies as did the original. It doesn't force the tune to a strict tempo. If you want to fit another recording over/alongside the first, you'll have to perform (1) on the second item. Now neither of them are at a strict tempo. and the second has been stretched to fit the first.

[Supplemental] I would typically use tempo mapping when I'm adding parts over something that was recorded previously by someone else, without any kind of click - so I might get drum tracks and some other stuff, but to simplify matters later I want to be able to add stuff that's quantised so I'll make a tempo map from the drums (or if the drums are a too ropy, from some kind of rough mix, patched up with clicks) We've even built a whole new version on a tempomap made from a rough as f. practice room tape that had (what was judged to be) a good feel, replacing all the drums with programmed stuff, and re-recording all the other parts.
Yes, you are correct, with my Original post.

I maybe coming at it differently (and wrongly) as I come from Ableton mostly but have been using Reaper for certain projects over the past 4 years. And Reaper maybe is better suited, (but not obvious) with this kind of thing?

Some of Reaper's features for this look very promising, but as mentioned, I maybe coming at it backwards, hence the question on how you Pro's would attempt this.

I just want to 'quantize to grid' the slightly varying non-click track music from early 80's to a strict tempo so that i can mix the ends in a DJ mix as well as maybe put loops over tracks to beef them up a little?

(1) So would this be better that the tracks snap to a grid and tempo ie: 105bpm so that the project tempo is the 'Master' ?

Or...

(2) The tempo and grid snap to the songs' tempo so it wavers over a bar, like 105.45bpm, 106.32bpm to keep it all in time, so that the SONG tempo is the 'Master' ?

(I did think with this 2nd option that the 'wavering' tempo might make rigid loops over the track, and the next 'mixed in' track, waver and wobble too?)

So I do have options on what would be best, but to be honest, its about how i go to do this, as the (2) option, I have no real idea on how to do?

Thank you for all your help so far.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote